Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Gather 'Round the Table

How many people actually sit at a table and enjoy a family meal together?

I know that it doesnt happen often. In our house its just me, Noah, and Oliver.  Oliver is almost 2.  We tend to stick him in the highchair and then put ourselves down on the couch and enjoy a movie together.  However, what is that teaching Oliver?  Growing up both of us had family dinner at the dinner table.  Its always been instilled in me! I told myself that when I had a family we would always sit at a dinner table together and not have a tv involved.  I want my family to communicate and not just grunt and groan "pass the peas"...

I truly believe that just by sitting at the dinner table together each night will make a family closer; will evoke communication.  We finally got a table that isnt too tall and small.  I fixed dinner and Noah set the table.  We sat down and it was nice! It was nice to just sit there and visit.  Granted, there wasnt a ton of talking...I wasnt feeling that great.  Once we were done Noah gave Oli a bath and I took care of the dinner dishes.  It was nice to have the little things that tend to build up done.  We settled in and watched James and the Giant Peach.  I forgot how much I really enjoyed that movie as a kid.  Oliver was in a trance the entire time.  He laughs at movies in really odd times!

As this was a tad bit random, Im telling myself that I need to make time for my family and to sit there and enjoy a meal and enjoy the quality time that it brings.  Before long Oliver will have so many other things going on that we may not be able to keep up. 

Anyways, thats just some things that are going around in my head this morning.  I hope you all are having a wonderful Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment